Pages

April 22, 2012

.oatmeal scones.

Watching the Pioneer Woman's cooking show this morning...she was making my favorite mini Vanilla Bean Scones a la Starbucks. Yum. Knowing that Starbucks is probably not in my future today, I dug out an oatmeal scone recipe I got from my friend Leah. They are a great alternative!

I tried cutting them in triangles like Ree does, but apparently need more practice and went back to tried and true dropped style.

If you have a hankering for scones...here's the recipe!

2c. self-rising flour (add more if needed)
(I had all-purpose flour so I googled it and found that you can add 1 1/2 t. of baking soda and 1/4 t. salt to every 1c. flour to substitute it. Perfect!)
2c. rolled oats
1c. brown sugar
1c. shortening
1c. milk
(I added a handful of chocolate chips too!)

Mix flour, oats, & brown sugar together, then cut in shortening with a pastry blender or fork. Add milk. Cut into triangles or drop like cookies. Bake for 18 minutes at 350*. I think a little sprinkling of white sugar on top would be delish!

No comments: