Pages

August 29, 2011

.ten years.

It’s hard to believe that 10 years has gone by already.

Ten years ago tonight, my family was in Seattle – my Dad in the hospital connected to tubes and wires that were keeping him alive after being burned 58% of his body. Mom, Melissa, and I along with my aunts, uncles, and Grandma Marcial were in a motel wondering what tomorrow would bring.

Ten years later, it’s hard to believe where life has lead us. My parents spent three months in Seattle – my Dad went through multiple surgeries, skin grafts, and therapies – my Mom stayed strong for all of us; supporting each of us in our own way.

Dad’s survival and recovery is a true miracle. We did not know how extensive his long term injuries would be…but to see him today, you would never know anything had happened unless he showed you his scars.

We are so thankful for everyone that supported us that day and in the subsequent days – friends, family, community members, firefighters, EMTs, doctors, nurses, and therapists.

The past few days I’ve been thinking and reflecting on ten years. Ten years is a long time and a true milestone. We’ve been through a lot in ten years – two political campaigns, two college graduations (and two successful job interviews!), and an open heart surgery in addition to lots of great memories, laughs, and fun times.

I tried to find the articles online that Tri-City Herald had written on Dad – but apparently they archive them after ten years because I couldn’t find a trace of them. At least my Mom is a great archiver of her own and has them all tucked away.

All my love to my family—days like these remind me how lucky I am to have each of them in my corner.

No comments: