Pages

August 15, 2011

.The Help.

Mom and I treated ourselves to an end-of-summer treat yesterday…nails, pedicures, and The Help.

the-help-movie-poster

I read this book when it came out a few summers ago and then re-read it at the beginning of this summer in anticipation for the movie. Whenever anyone has asked for a book recommendation this summer, I’ve suggested this book. It’s so good. I’ve read it twice and I think I could read it again and again. Even my friend Kate, who is a notorious non-reader (and takes my teasing in stride), is listening to it right now. It’s that good. :)

Usually when a movie is adapted from a book, it’s only so-so and doesn’t do the book justice. This was actually a really good adaptation. There was only one part that I was a little disappointed in.

539w  

The story is just so moving…and it’s hard to believe that it only took place 50 years ago. How we’ve changed in those 50 years. I’m so glad I didn’t live in the South during that time period – black or white. It’s just heartbreaking people were treated like that and that people felt the need to treat others like that.

I’ll definitely see this movie again – in the theater.
If you haven’t read the book yet – don’t waste any more time…THEN go see the movie. You’ll be glad you did.

No comments: