Pages

January 17, 2011

{ chicken chilaquiles }

Chicken Chilaquiles is one of my most favorite things that I acquired from my time in Mexico. When I went to Mexico in high school (holy jeez – it’ll be 13 years ago this year!), we went with a tour group. We had continental breakfast buffet each morning and it always included chicken chilaquiles. I fell in love.

When I returned to Mexico 4 years later, I never got to have chilaquiles. Sad smile I lived with a family and I think the mother was trying to give us American food (jello and … I don’t remember what else, but I remember having jello at every meal. Nasty!).

In the past few years, I’ve tried to find the best recipe to duplicate the dish I loved in Mexico. I have found out that traditionally, it’s a dish that is usually served for breakfast and uses leftover tortillas – and basically any other leftovers from dinner the night before.

I made a version this evening that is pretty close to what we had – the key is cotija cheese sprinkled on top before you eat it. My fave!

We dug in too fast tonight and I didn’t get a picture! Next time!

1/2 cup vegetable oil
10 flour or corn tortillas (6 to 8 inches in diameter), cut into 1/2-inch strips
2 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
1 1/3 cups salsa verde or green sauce
2 cups shredded Chihuahua or mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)

  1. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet until hot. Cook tortilla strips in oil 30 to 60 seconds or until light golden brown; drain.
  2. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease 2-quart casserole.
  3. Layer half of the tortilla strips in casserole; top with chicken, half of the salsa verde (about 2/3 cup) and 1 cup of the cheese. Press layers gently down into casserole. Repeat with remaining tortilla strips, sauce and cheese.
  4. Bake about 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.

I also wanted to make Spanish Rice, but the recipe I had called for regular rice, but we only had Minute Rice. I made the minute rice anyway and added a cup of salsa to it after it’d been covered about 3 minutes. It turned out pretty good – in a pinch.

2 comments:

The Wieselers said...

sounds yummy! I'm so glad you liked the chicken recipe- its originally from my mom and one of our favorites now too.

BTW- LOVE LOVE the zig zag quilt- I'm gonna need the pattern! :)

Mikaela said...

I just saw a food show where they had this, and it sounded good. Thanks for the recipe.