Pages

February 8, 2010

...something new...

I learned something new this weekend at the retreat.
In November, I organized a craft day at church for anyone that was interested - I had seen a tutorial online for a self-binding receiving blanket and *loved* the look of it, so of course I had to try it, right!?!
Yeah, not so easy. I wrestled with it for a while that day and finally gave up.
Fast forward two months. Jessica tried again and was successful!
At the retreat this weekend, she helped me make one and I figured it out....
check out the finished product:

I took myself right over to JoAnn's on Sunday after the retreat and bought flannel to make three more blankets (flannel is on sale for $2.95 a yard right now!). I am happy to report that I successfully made another one tonight all by myself!

I'm pretty proud of myself - they make such a cute (and cheap) baby gift.
This blue one already has a bow tied around it with a tag for a new baby that was born on Saturday!
I will say I noticed a big difference between the two blankets and the quality of flannel. The pink fabrics were from Craft Warehouse and are very very soft and thick. The blue fabrics are from JoAnn's and are thinner and not very soft. Just an observation.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

My mother-in-law makes these and yeah those corners could make you quit sewing for a day! I have yet to attempt it but will have her here when I do so she can help! Since then she has made about 15 for baby gifts and some for my kids too even though they were older and they are so nice to have as a light blanket! Very cute! Way to go conquering the pattern!

Jessica said...

I have a blankie made out of the same blue fabric. Good Work!!! BTW...you have earned whatever machine you bought today. You work hard and deserve to have something fun and just for you every once in a while. NEVER feel guilty:)

Countrylivn' said...

love the fabrics, I am going to check those out, are they easy once you figure it out? Im a little nervous, but we have some cousin babies going to be born soon, looks like fun!

Countrylivn' said...

Marcie- I was helping organize a little cheer clinic here at our school, did you put the one on at CHS? Where did you order your tshirts from, what did you charge for the clinic? If you have time would you email me, so I could email you back...thanks! mijkennielson@hotmail.com

Olivieri Portrait Design said...

Good Job Marcie I love them both. When is our next craft gathering?

Hannah said...

You amaze me!!

janica said...

LOVE the fabric.
and thanks for the compliment on my blog!
AND that would be awesome if you could find some of Jr. Miss, that was one thing she mentioned she was most sad about losing!! Thanks Marcie, I know she'll love them. my email is wood_jl33@hotmail.com or janicalarae@gmail.com whichever is easier.

ellsworth family said...

Those are very cute! Great job!