Pages

August 18, 2009

[ reunited ]

On August 1st, my dearest friend (read: oldest - no offense, Trace!) came to Connell for the day! Her Grandma Mary passed away on the 4th of July and they had a Celebration of Life service in Connell.
Tracy and I met when we were three and my Mom tried to snatch her. :) It's an old story/joke told between our families. The story goes that my family was visiting my Grandma and Grandpa for Christmas (we still lived in Tacoma at the time). After the Christmas Eve Service, my Mom pulled on a little girl's blue hood and coaxed her to go out the door. Tracy's Mom panicked and asked her husband, "Bill, who is that woman trying to take our daughter?" (Tracy's Dad was a Connell native - went to high school with my Mom...her Mom married into Connell!) Come to find out, Tracy and I had the same winter coat and with our hoods up, looked exactly the same!
We grew up to be the best of friends, inseparable through elementary school - having birthday parties together (we're three days apart), lots of sleepovers, lots of dress up, playing Barbies, New Kids on the Block/Debbie Gibson/Tiffany sing-a-longs.
Tracy and her family moved to Portland the summer between 8th and 9th grade. We visited during high school and ended up at Whitworth together for college! I loved experiencing college with her. I am not very outgoing in unknown situations, but having Tracy there felt like home and made me a lot more comfortable. I had a terrible roommate and Tracy had a single, so we spent a lot of time in that little closet! She moved back to Portland half way through our sophomore year and I sure missed her.
We've seen each other a handful of times in the past 8 years, but not nearly as often as I'd like. She's married to a great guy and has two beautiful kids. Really beautiful!
ANYWAY - it was such fun to see her even just for a few hours and even if it was under such circumstances. I miss her and her family very much and wish we lived closer to each other.




This is Tracy's aunt Carrie. She's a riot. She chaperoned a school trip to Washington DC we took the summer after 7th grade. We still laugh about the stuff she instigated on that trip! (She also played the part of the photographer the day they were in Connell - thanks for letting me use them, Carrie!)

Grandma Marcial and Carrie

My Mom - ow ow! :)

No comments: