Pages

March 22, 2012

family photos…part 3: the Koch’s.

This is the last one for a while…this is all of the pictures I have right now!

This is about my Dad’s parents,
Ernst Koch (1917) and Mary Jean Larkin Koch (1921)

IMG_1520

IMG_1530

They were married around 1940. Ernie joined the Army in early 1942 and my dad, Robert Ernest Koch, was born July 12, 1942.

Ernie got a short leave to see my Dad when he was born, and then he was stationed in the South Pacific for the majority of the next 3 years.  My Dad was born in Santa Barbara, CA, where my Grandma lived while my Grandpa was overseas. She eventually moved back to Minnesota to be closer to her family.

IMG_1528

This is my Dad!

IMG_1526

Grandma Jean and “Bobby” on his 1st birthday

IMG_1532

We found many photos that had inscriptions on the back from Grandma Jean to Grandpa Ernie while he was overseas – this was one:

IMG_1533

She had this professional photo taken of she and my Dad to send to Grandpa Ernie.

IMG_1538

My Dad around age 3?

IMG_1519

My Grandpa Ernie received a purple heart for being injured by stepping on a land mine. We found this telegraph in the box, informing my Grandma that my Grandpa had been injured.

  IMG_1539

Grandpa Ernie returned not long after that. Shorty after that, Richard “Dick” joined their family in 1946. They lived in Lake Elmo, Minnesota. My Grandpa worked for car dealerships and gas stations. My Grandma eventually went to work for Weyerhaeuser in St. Paul.

IMG_1524

My Dad graduated from Stillwater Area High School in 1960. That summer, the family relocated to Tacoma, WA with Weyerhaeuser. My Mom always points out how interesting that the family would move halfway across the country to follow the woman’s job in 1960, which is true!

IMG_1534

Dick graduated in 1964 from Lakes High School in Tacoma. Tragically, he was killed in a car accident in 1967.

IMG_1537

I have this photo framed in my bedroom. My Mom said it was Grandma Jean’s “official” Weyerhaeuser photo.

 IMG_1552

I just like this one too.

IMG_1522

This was Grandpa Ernie and Grandma Jean’s house in Tacoma that I remember going to as a little girl. Our family lived a few blocks away until I was 3 1/2.

 IMG_1521

I love this one too!

IMG_1523

Grandpa Ernie and his BFF Elmer Dittman.
They were back door neighbors in Lake Elmo. My parents would stay with them when they went to Minnesota until Elmer and his wife Hilda both passed away.

IMG_1531

My parent’s wedding picture – 1977
Spokane, WA

IMG_1553

This is me with Grandpa Ernie and Grandma Jean, around 1981.

IMG_1559

Christmas 1985: Grandpa Ernie and Grandma Jean with their grandkids:
Bobby, Tara, me, and Melissa

IMG_1557

Bobby’s senior picture – 1983
He passed away in 1987.

  IMG_1551

Tara’s senior picture - 1988

tara

Grandpa Ernie also passed away in 1987 from cancer; Grandma Jean in 1996, also from cancer.

My Dad is now the oldest living member of his Koch/Larkin family, as the oldest grandchild on both sides of the family.

There you have it – the Koch family history in 3 parts!
Now, onto my Mom’s side: the Heiders, Sackmanns, Gusts, and Lobes!

No comments: